Transcriber's Note: Text in bold italics is in blackletter typeface in the original book.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
ELY. HILLS & SON
LONDON. SIMPKIN & CO. & ALL BOOKSELLERS
THOS. KELL, LITH. 40, KING STREET
COVENT GARDEN, LONDON
THE PRIOR’S DOORWAY
Ely: Hills & Son
Thos. Kell Sculpt. London
ELY CATHEDRAL—THE OCTAGON.
GROUND PLAN OF THE CHOIR.
Ground Plan of the Choir of Ely Cathedral.
The first three bays are in the Decorated style, about the same date as the Octagon (1337-1361). The Norman bays which they replaced were injured by the fall of the central Tower in 1322. The six eastern bays (the Presbytery) are in the Early English Style, and were built by Bishop Northwold (1235-1252).
Having entered the South aisle of the Choir by the iron gate marked 1 on the plan, and passed, on the right, the monuments of Bishop Allen, and the Stewards, we come to 2. Bishop de Luda's monument (1298) restored on the north side by Dean Peacock. 3. Bishop Barnet's tomb (1373). 4. Tomb of John Tiptoft, Earl of Worcester, and his two wives (1470). 5. Tomb of Bishop Hotham (1337) who left money for the rebuilding of the three Decorated bays of the Choir. 6. On the south side of the aisle is the monument erected in 1879 to Canon Selwyn. 7. Bishop West's Chapel, built about 1534, containing the graves of Bishops West, Keene, and Sparke, and on the south side the remains of seven benefactors of the monastery removed from the Conventual Church in 1154; and built in the north wall is the tomb of Cardinal de Luxemburg, Bishop of Ely, who died 1443. 8. In the Retro-Choir is the tomb of Dr. Mill, Canon of Ely, and Regius Professor of Hebrew at Cambridge, who died in 1853. 9. Grave of Bishop and Mrs. Allen (1845). 10. The east wall on which are traces of painting of which no account can be given. 11. Bishop Alcock's Chapel, containing his grave; he died in 1500; he was founder of Jesus College, Cambridge. 12. Tomb of Bishop Northwold, founder of the Presbytery, who was Abbot of Bury before he became Bishop of Ely; died in 1254. 13. The monument formerly placed over Bishop Hotham's tomb, but supposed to be part of the shrine of St. Etheldreda as adapted by Alan de Walsingham. 14. Tomb of Bishop Kilkenny (1250). 15. Tomb of Bishop Redman (1505). 16. The Reredos, designed by Sir G.G. Scott, presented by John Dunn Gardner, Esq., in memory of his wife (1851). 17. The spiral Staircase leading to the organ loft: the organ was built by Hill and Son, of London. 18 and 19. The Stalls—very ancient, though the carved panels above them are modern; the north side represents a series of pictures from the New Testament; on the south side are illustrations of the Old Testament; they were carved by Abeloos of Louvain. The sub-stalls are new. 20. The oaken Screen designed by Sir G.G. Scott.
For further particulars see "Hand-Book to the Cathedral," published by Messrs. Hills and Son, Minster Place, near the western entrance to the Cathedral.
WITH SOME ACCOUNT OF
The Monastic Buildings, &c.,
ILLUSTRATED BY ENGRAVINGS AND GROUND PLANS.
NEW EDITION, REVISED.
T.A. HILLS AND SON, BOOKSELLERS, MINSTER PLACE;
SIMPKIN, MARSHALL, AND CO., LONDON;
AND ALL OTHER BOOKSELLERS.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
The Rev. the Dean and Chapter of Ely,
WHOSE UNREMITTING EXERTIONS
TO PROMOTE THE RESTORATIONS AND IMPROVEMENTS
OF THEIR CATHEDRAL CHURCH
MERIT THE GRATITUDE OF EVERY LOVER OF ART,
SUPPORT OF THE COUNTRY AT LARGE:
THIS ELEVENTH EDITION OF
“A HAND-BOOK TO THE CATHEDRAL CHURCH,”
MOST RESPECTFULLY DEDICATED,
BY THEIR OBLIGED SERVANT,
TO THE ELEVENTH EDITION.
HEN this Work first appeared as a candidate for public favour in 1852, the Compiler had but faint hopes of its ever attaining a position of usefulness which the sale of the several editions has proved it to have done. His constant aim has been to render it a faithful as well as a convenient and useful companion to strangers and others when examining this interesting Cathedral; and, in order to render each succeeding edition more complete, his study has been to give from time to time the best information in his power upon the improvements which have for many years been in progress. He tenders his best thanks for the kindness of many friends who have afforded him information, and has availed himself of the important remarks of the late Sir G.G. Scott at the Etheldreda Festival in 1873, and of the valuable work of Mr. Stewart to correct as well as to verify and support his own statements, for which his grateful acknowledgments are due. The whole has been revised, and some additions have been made, which he is induced to hope will enhance its value, and render it more worthy of