INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC SERIES.
Each book complete in One Volume, 12mo, and bound in Cloth.
1. FORMS OF WATER: A Familiar Exposition of the Origin and Phenomena of Glaciers. By J. Tyndall, LL. D., F. R. S. With 25 Illustrations. $1.50.
2. PHYSICS AND POLITICS; Or, Thoughts on the Application of the Principles of “Natural Selection” and “Inheritance” to Political Society. By Walter Bagehot. $1.50.
3. FOODS. By Edward Smith, M. D., LL. B., F. R. S. With numerous Illustrations. $1.75.
4. MIND AND BODY: The Theories of their Relation. By Alexander Bain, LL. D. With 4 Illustrations. $1.50.
5. THE STUDY OF SOCIOLOGY. By Herbert Spencer. $1.50.
6. THE NEW CHEMISTRY. By Professor J. P. Cooke, of Harvard University. With 31 Illustrations. $2.00.
7. ON THE CONSERVATION OF ENERGY. By Balfour Stewart, M. A., LL. D., F. R. S. With 14 Illustrations. $1.50.
8. ANIMAL LOCOMOTION; or, Walking, Swimming, and Flying. By J. B. Pettigrew, M. D., F. R. S., etc. With 130 Illustrations. $1.75.
9. RESPONSIBILITY IN MENTAL DISEASE. By Henry Maudsley, M. D. $1.50.
10. THE SCIENCE OF LAW. By Professor Sheldon Amos. $1.75.
11. ANIMAL MECHANISM: A Treatise on Terrestrial and Aërial Locomotion. By Professor E. J. Marey. With 117 Illustrations. $1.75.
12. THE HISTORY OF THE CONFLICT BETWEEN RELIGION AND SCIENCE. By J. W. Draper, M. D., LL. D. $1.75.
13. THE DOCTRINE OF DESCENT AND DARWINISM. By Professor Oscar Schmidt (Strasburg University). With 26 Illustrations. $1.50.
14. THE CHEMICAL EFFECTS OF LIGHT AND PHOTOGRAPHY. By Dr. Hermann Vogel (Polytechnic Academy of Berlin). Translation thoroughly revised. With 100 Illustrations. $2.00.
15. FUNGI: Their Nature, Influences, Uses, etc. By M. C. Cooke, M. A., LL. D. Edited by the Rev. M. J. Berkeley, M. A., F. L. S. With 109 Illustrations. $1.50.
16. THE LIFE AND GROWTH OF LANGUAGE. By Professor William Dwight Whitney, of Yale College. $1.50.
17. MONEY AND THE MECHANISM OF EXCHANGE. By W. Stanley Jevons, M. A., F. R. S. $1.75.
18. THE NATURE OF LIGHT, with a General Account of Physical Optics. By Dr. Eugene Lommel. With 188 Illustrations and a Table of Spectra in Chromo-lithography. $2.00.
19. ANIMAL PARASITES AND MESSMATES. By Monsieur Van Beneden. With 83 Illustrations. $1.50.
20. FERMENTATION. By Professor Schützenberger. With 28 Illustrations. $1.50.
21. THE FIVE SENSES OF MAN. By Professor Bernstein. With 91 Illustrations. $1.75.
22. THE THEORY OF SOUND IN ITS RELATION TO MUSIC. By Professor Pietro Blaserna. With numerous Illustrations. $1.50.
23. STUDIES IN SPECTRUM ANALYSIS. By J. Norman Lockyer, F. R. S. With 6 Photographic Illustrations of Spectra, and numerous Engravings on Wood. $2.50.
24. A HISTORY OF THE GROWTH OF THE STEAM-ENGINE. By Professor E. H. Thurston. With 163 Illustrations. $2.50.
25. EDUCATION AS A SCIENCE. By Alexander Bain, LL. D. $1.75.
26. STUDENTS’ TEXT-BOOK OF COLOR; Or, Modern Chromatics. With Applications to Art and Industry. By Professor Ogden N. Rood, Columbia College. New edition. With 130 Illustrations. $2.00.
27. THE HUMAN SPECIES. By Professor A. de Quatrefages, Membre de l’Institut. $2.00.
28. THE CRAYFISH: An Introduction to the Study of Zoology. By T. H. Huxley, F. R. S. With 82 Illustrations. $1.75.
29. THE ATOMIC THEORY. By Professor A. Wurtz. Translated by E. Cleminshaw, F. C. S. $1.50.
30. ANIMAL LIFE AS AFFECTED BY THE NATURAL CONDITIONS OF EXISTENCE. By Karl Semper. With 2 Maps and 106 Woodcuts. $2.00.
31. SIGHT: An Exposition of the Principles of Monocular and Binocular Vision. By Joseph Le Conte, LL. D. With 132 Illustrations. $1.50.
32. GENERAL PHYSIOLOGY OF MUSCLES AND NERVES. By Professor J. Rosenthal. With 75 Illustrations. $1.50.
33. ILLUSIONS: A Psychological Study. By James Sully. $1.50.
34. THE SUN. By C. A. Young, Professor of Astronomy in the College of New Jersey. With numerous Illustrations. $2.00.
35. VOLCANOES: What they Are and what they Teach. By John W. Judd, F. R. S., Professor of Geology in the Royal School of Mines. With 96 Illustrations. $2.00.
36. SUICIDE: An Essay in Comparative Moral Statistics. By Henry Morselli, M. D., Professor of Psychological Medicine, Royal University, Turin. $1.75.
37. THE FORMATION OF VEGETABLE MOULD, THROUGH THE ACTION OF WORMS. With Observations on their Habits. By Charles Darwin, LL. D., F. R. S. With Illustrations. $1.50.
38. THE CONCEPTS AND THEORIES OF MODERN PHYSICS. By J. B. Stallo. $1.75.
39. THE BRAIN AND ITS FUNCTIONS. By J. Luys. $1.50.
40. MYTH AND SCIENCE. By Tito Vignoli. $1.50.
41. DISEASES OF MEMORY: An Essay in the Positive Psychology. By Th. Ribot, author of “Heredity.” $1.50.
42. ANTS, BEES, AND WASPS. A Record of Observations of the Habits of the Social Hymenoptera. By Sir John Lubbock, Bart., F. R. S., D. C. L., LL. D., etc. $2.00.
43. SCIENCE OF POLITICS. By Sheldon Amos. $1.75.
44. ANIMAL INTELLIGENCE. By George J. Romanes. $1.75.
45. MAN BEFORE METALS. By N. Joly, Correspondent of the Institute. With 148 Illustrations. $1.75.
46. THE ORGANS OF SPEECH AND THEIR APPLICATION IN THE FORMATION OF ARTICULATE SOUNDS. By G. H. von Meyer, Professor in Ordinary of Anatomy at the University of Zürich. With 47 Woodcuts. $1.75.
47. FALLACIES: A View of Logic from the Practical Side. By Alfred Sidgwick, B. A., Oxon. $1.75.